Astrology Definitions – Z
- That point in the celestial sphere directly above the observer.
Mathematically, the Pole of the Horizon. The point directly overhead, through which pass the Prime Vertical (q.v.) and Meridian circles. Every place has its own zenith, and the nearer a planet is to that zenith, the more powerful is its influence.. The term is sometimes loosely applied to the cusp of the Tenth House, which strictly speaking is only the point of the zodiac or ecliptic through which the meridian circle passes.
- Zero Hour Circles
- The Secondary Hour Circles drawn through the celestial poles and perpendicular to the celestial equator are termed Hour Circles, while those drawn parallel to the celestial equator are called parallels of declination. The angle at the pole which this circle makes with the meridian through any other place is called longitude.
The Hour Circle passing through the point of the Spring Equinox is known as the Zero Hour Circle. At the time the Great Pyramid was built, the Zero Hour Circle cut the Earth at that point, just as some centuries later it cut the location fot eh Greenwich Observatory when that was constructed. The world time should follow the precession of the Equinoxes, but this would entail not only the relocation of the Observatory every 70 or 700 years but of all the time zone meridians – obviously a difficulty not easily overcome. To obviate that, world time has been made synonymous with Greenwich Standard Time. However, the measurement in degrees of Right Ascension of points along the Ecliptic, beginning at the point of the Spring Equinox, must of necessity be correct, and while the required adjustment is but a matter of seconds per year, there is little we can do but disregard the interval, much as we arbitrarily correct the calender by an intercalary day every four years. Thus it becomes the one passage of time of which no record is kept other than in the changed relationship between the signs and the constellations. The result, however, is that Sidereal Time as utilized in locating the daily noon-pint is in increasing disagreement with Standard world-time as observed on the Earth. However, since an hour’s discrepancy as created by law during Daylight Saving Time has entailed no serious difficulties, the failure to shift our world time zones in keeping with the precession will entail no greater inconvenience for some 2,000 years, at which time we could relocate another observatory and still maintain the same boundaries for our Standard Time Zones.
- The band of sky 18° wide having the ecliptic as its central line. It consists of twelve parts, each 30° wide, which represent the twelve signs of the Zodiac.
- Zodiacal Aspects
- Those measured in degrees along the Ecliptic. When used in connection with Primary Directions the Promittor’s place is taken without latitude in contrast to the usual method used with mundane aspects wherein one takes cognizance of the longitudinal degree at which the aspect is complete.
- Zodiacal Directions
- Those formed in the Zodiac, by the progressed motion of Ascendant, Midheaven, Sun, and Moon, to aspects with the planets. These may be: Direct, in the order of the signs; or Converse, against the order of the signs.
- Zodiacal Parallels
- Any two points within the Zodiac that are of equal declination are said to be in zodiacal parallel with each other. If both are North or both South declination they were anciently termed antiscions. Some older authorities deemed that both were equally effective, but most modern authorities ignore the contra-antiscions and attribute astrological significance only to those between two bodies in parallel on the same side of the Equator. The zodiacal parallel may be formed by direction in the Primary System, or by progression in the Secondary System. To direct the Sun to an approximate parallel: In the ephemeris find the number of days subsequent to the birthdate, viz, the date on which the Sun attains the declination fo rhe planet desired, this number of days equalling the interval in years at which the influence will become operative. Or, to be exact, subtract the Right Ascension of the Sun when it forms the parallel from the Sun’s R.A. at birth, and reduce this arc of direction to time at the rate of 1º for a year and 5′ for a month.