Fomalhaut, also known as Formalhaut, is a fixed Royal Star. It’s one of the four Royal Stars of Persia, and the only one that’s not near the ecliptic. Fomalhaut is not actually in Pisces, but the Pisces point is the nearest zodiacal degree to this fixed star.
Fomalhaut conjunct the Ascendant, and in good aspect, is said to give fame and a name “remembered forever.” Vivian Robson says it gives “great and lasting honors.”
To explore that idea, I’ll look at some celebrity charts with Fomalhaut conjunct their Ascendant with an orb of less than 1 degree. (Conjunctions of the fixed stars to the Sun or other planets will not be important since many people will share that conjunction.)
Can we expect from Fomalhaut Rising all of the things that are said of it? Great success, creativity, talent, idealism, magical healing ability, refinement, personal appeal, an immortal name, and fame beyond the grave? Or should we disregard the importance of this Royal Star because it’s so far from the ecliptic and outside of our zodiac?
Celebrities With Royal Star Fomalhaut Conjunct Ascendant
John Coltrane (born September 23, 1926), the American jazz saxophonist and composer, had his Ascendant in Pisces 3°. Royal Star Fomalhaut was in Pisces 2° 49′, so this was a tight conjunction with an orb of 11 minutes. Coltrane’s name has lived beyond the grave. Some of Coltrane’s music was not released until years after he died. For example, his album, Interstellar Space, was released in 1974, seven years after his death. It’s considered a masterpiece. John Coltrane even achieved sainthood. He has been recognized as a saint by several churches since 1971. The St. John Coltrane African Orthodox Church in San Francisco uses Coltrane’s music and lyrics as prayers in their services. Before achieving sainthood status, he was briefly worshiped as God incarnate. It’s safe to say that Fomalhaut granted him “immortality.” Adding to his legacy, this special man enlisted (by choice, was not drafted) in the U.S. Navy during WW2.
Vincent Price (born May 27, 1911) had Fomalhaut conjunct his Ascendant with an orb of 35 minutes. Price was an American actor with a preference for Gothic horror movies. He shows us that perhaps Fomalhaut conjunct the Ascendant doesn’t only mean “fame that lasts beyond the grave,” but also fame with a grave theme. He acted in horror movies such as Pit and the Pendulum (1961) and House of Usher (1960). He played The Inventor in Edward Scissorhands (1990). Vincent Price has most definitely achieved lasting honors with a film career that lasted 55 years!
Jeannie Longo, French racing cyclist, has Fomalhaut conjunct her Ascendant with an orb 59 minutes, just under 1 degree. Jeannie is a 13-time world champion. She’s considered one of the greatest female cyclists of all time.
Phil Donahue was born on December 21, 1935. Fomalhaut is conjunct his Ascendant with an orb of 40 minutes. He has achieved great honors. From Wikipedia:
Donahue was awarded 20 Emmy Awards during his broadcasting career, ten for Outstanding Talk Show Host, and 10 for The Phil Donahue Show. He received the prestigious Peabody Award in 1980, and was inducted into the Academy of Television Arts & Sciences Hall of Fame on November 20, 1993.
Jim Bakker’s Ascendant/Fomalhaut conjunction is almost exact, with an orb of less than 4 minutes. Bakker is an American televangelist. After building a multi-million dollar “non-profit” empire, he survived a sex scandal and rape accusation, money scandals and fraud (makes one wonder why he wasn’t a politician). He was found guilty of 24 counts of fraud and conspiracy, and sentenced to 45 years in a federal prison. He served only 4 and a half years before being released, and his $500,000 fine was voided. Then, Jim Bakker got a free plastic surgery makeover from a plastic surgeon buddy. He also returned to television. He may have “fallen,” but he got right back up. Fomalhaut promises “great and lasting honors,” apparently, with no questions asked.
It seems that when the conjunction is very close, Fomalhaut does give fame, honors, and a powerful charisma (even Jim Bakker, somehow, still has fans). It gives deep, soulful eyes which create a sort of mystical appearance.
It seems that when the conjunction is very tight, close to exact, as with John Coltrane and Jim Bakker, the powerful energy from this Royal Star becomes much, much harder to manage. It’s both amazing and dangerous. When the conjunction has an orb of 30 to 59 minutes, as with Vincent Price, Jeannie Longo, and Phil Donahue, the fortunate energy is more pleasant and easier to benefit from.
If you’d like to research more charts with Fomalhaut conjunct the Ascendant, here are some tips.
- Start with Astro-Databank’s page of people with Ascendant at Pisces 2 degrees, then at 3 degrees.
- In order to maintain research integrity, only use charts with a Rodden Rating of “AA” or “A.” We cannot be sure of the birth time for charts with a Rodden Rating of “B” or worse.
- Only use charts with the Ascendant closer than 1 degree (60 minutes) to Fomalhaut. You’ll have to do the math by hand. You’ll need to get the exact position of Fomalhaut for each person’s chart. To do this, click on “add [Person’s Name] to ‘my astro’“. Then, click “Free Horoscopes” –> “Extended Chart Selection”. Scroll down to the last field and type or paste, Fomalhaut. Click to show the chart. You’ll see the exact position of Fomalhaut and the Ascendant (AC) in the table under the chart. Do the math to see how close they are. Disregard any charts with an orb greater than 60 minutes (1 exact degree).
Do you have Fomalhaut strong in your chart? Is it conjunct your Ascendant or Midheaven? Do you know someone who does? If you don’t, then you’re better able to provide an objective, non-biased opinion. Is Fomalhaut still relevant?
- Fixed Star Lessons. (2002). In Astrology Institute. Retrieved September 1, 2015, from http://www.astrologyinstitute.com/Fixed_star_lessons/lesson_four.htm
- FOMALHAUT. (n.d.). In constellationsofwords.com. Retrieved September 1, 2015, from http://www.constellationsofwords.com/stars/Fomalhaut.html
- John Coltrane: Astrology and Horoscope. (n.d.). In Astrotheme. Retrieved September 1, 2015, from http://www.astrotheme.com/astrology/John_Coltrane#hbiographie
- Fomalhaut ephemeris. (n.d.). In LibraRising.com. Retrieved September 1, 2015, from http://www.librarising.com/astrology/tables/startables/fomalhaut.html
- John Coltrane. (2015, August 10). In Wikipedia, The Free Encyclopedia. Retrieved September 1, 2015, from https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Coltrane
- Price, Vincent. (2013, December 26). In Astro-Databank. Retrieved September 1, 2015, from http://www.astro.com/astro-databank/Price,_Vincent
- Vincent Price. (n.d.). In IMDb. Retrieved September 1, 2015, from http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0001637/?ref_=nmbio_bio_nm
- Longo, Jeannie. (2014, November 21). In Astro-Databank. Retrieved September 1, 2015, from http://www.astro.com/astro-databank/Longo,_Jeannie
- Jeannie Longo. (2015, August 26). In Wikipedia, The Free Encyclopedia. Retrieved September 1, 2015, from https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeannie_Longo
- Donahue, Phil. (2013, December 26). In Astro-Databank. Retrieved September 1, 2015, from http://www.astro.com/astro-databank/Donahue,_Phil
- Phil Donahue. (2015, August 31). In Wikipedia, The Free Encyclopedia. Retrieved September 1, 2015, from https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phil_Donahue
- Bakker, Jim. (2012, June 30). In Astro-Databank. Retrieved September 1, 2015, from http://www.astro.com/astro-databank/Bakker,_Jim
- Jim Bakker. (2015, September 1). In Wikipedia, The Free Encyclopedia. Retrieved September 2, 2015, from https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jim_Bakker
Image Credits, from left to right:
The image of John Coltrane is from the November 18, 2009 article, “November 18, 1963: John Coltrane Records ‘Alabama’ in Reaction to the Horrific Church Bombings in the South” at Rhapsody in Books Weblog.
The image of Vincent Price is from the “Vincent Price” page at doctormacro.com.
The image of Jeannie Longo is By © James F. Perry (Own work) [CC BY-SA 3.0 (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/3.0)], via Wikimedia Commons (https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File%3ALongo0106_751.jpg).
The image of Phil Donahue is from the December 20, 2012 article, “Random thoughts for thursday december 20th, 2012” at Inside Jay Dean’s Brain WordPress blog.
The image of John Coltrane is from the July 29, 2011 article, “The Dream of a Young Evangelist” at The Jim Bakker Show website.
I have 4 degree Pisces rising, when I was born it was around 3 degrees.
I’m an artist who always somewhat knew she would reach her goals to high status. It’s crazy to think how according to this it can actually happen, but it sounds like with a price to pay. But like anyone who risks a lot to achieve big their will be obstacles of some sort. I’m 29 now and I’ve achieve more then the average person when it comes to my career and not looking to stopping anytime soon, I guess we will see where this position takes me. I also have my sun in the 10th house in Sagittarius but also have 5 planets in Capricorn which have delayed a lot of things for me. Being a Sag it doesn’t stop me from continuing on this journey call life and doing what I love.
I am pretty psychic as well, people always seem to ask for advice from me and I always seem to know things before it happens. My dreams are vivid and usually are signs of what’s gonna happen next in my life or the people around me. I get weird visions now too or just gut instincts to things, I read that this position can give you psychic & artistic abilities.